Friday, February 29, 2008

Encore! Encore!


Today is Cinderella's cast party to celebrate the success of their drama club performance (of 3 weeks ago).
I'm a little sad that I won't be able to be there.
I didn't realize how much fun I had with those kooky and wacky middle schoolers, until my time with them was over.
"This is the happiest I have seen you in a long time."
My mother's observation was right-on and a little shocking.
I had no idea I would have this much fun working with Cinderella and her classmates.
They're funny, exuberant and stuck in that awesome and awkward place between childhood and adulthood. The dynamics of their relationships are laced with sexual tension that they have yet to understand or even realize. They are beautifully innocent and frighteningly grown-up all at the same time.
Being backstage with them left me feeling something like a Big Sister, Friend, Mom and Warden all rolled into one. I wanted to strangle them and laugh and hug and run around being silly with them all at the same time.
Cinderella and I bonded in a way we had never done before. Her play gave us something in common - something neutral to enjoy together, that existed beyond our home and chores and custody/visitation issues and the problems with her Mom and the dynamics of our Stepmom/Stepdaughter relationship. We connected easily. We chatted, gossiped, planned and genuinely enjoyed each other's company. 
This experience has left me wanting more.
I can't wait to do it again.


4 comments:

Lacey said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time with Cinderella's school play. It's great that the two of you got to bond so well!

SherE1 said...

My daughter is turning 12 in a couple of weeks and your description of Cinderella and her friends is so right on. This is such a great age because they can still enjoy an adult's company and help us to feel young again with their energy and innocence! I'm glad you had that nice bonding time with your step-daughter.

Day said...

Congrats! I'm sure there will be another opportunity soon to help with Cinderella. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

The StepMom said...

You'll be able to do it again. She enjoyed having you there, who wouldn't!

I can relate too well. My step-daughter just got into tumbling and cheerleading! It was kind-of shocking, but that was my thing in school. Just tonight I was able to help her with some of her stuff. It was extremely fun. To help her with this is a pleasure for me but I am also bonding with her more and more. Such exciting times.

Cinderella knows that you are there and that you are present. But more importantly, that you will be available when she needs it and that is when it will really matter.