Friday, February 1, 2013

The Butterfly Project

Last week, I drew a butterfly on my arm in support of Cinderella, courtesy of The Butterfly Project.




While it may not have stopped her from cutting THIS TIME, I believe it did reinforce the message of my unwavering support of her struggles...which is what ultimately allowed her to confide that she tried to commit suicide days earlier. And why she was brave enough to tell me that SHE NEEDED HELP and wanted to be hospitalized because she felt she was at risk of harming herself even more.

There is no ONE solution to the issues of teen depression, suicide and self-harming behaviors. The Butterfly Project is just one resource. All we can do as parents is to remain diligent in our research, finding new ways of educating ourselves and our teens, loving them IN SPITE OF their struggles. Of helping them to take flight ABOVE their challenges.

If you, or someone you know, is carving, scratching or cutting to cope with their INTERNAL pain... please know there is support and help available. Or you could try calling an information only line at 1-800-DONT-CUT.

And then maybe, draw a butterfly or two on your own arm as a show of support.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE.

But you know that.

xo

Fraoch said...

You are a strong & beautiful woman

Therese said...

What should I draw on my arm in support of caregivers who love people who are hurting like that?

Susanna said...

Thank you for being so supportive. She's lucky to have you in her life.

Wicked Stepmom said...

Thank you all...she is home now, and my butterfly has faded. I am keeping my thoughts POSITIVE that I won't need to draw another one.

Onemom said...

What a great idea I will use this in my struggle thank u