Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A First...And An Unexpected Last.

Gretel started summer camp last week.
The same camp her brother has gone to for the past three summers and Cinderella for the past six.
She is the LAST of my children that will have their first ever day of camp. Another milestone ticked off the List of Firsts, never again to be repeated.
I packed her lunch and backpack Sunday night and laid it by the front door, next to her brother's.
I stood back and took in the sight of his Star Wars bag and her Tinkerbell bag and I couldn't help notice what was missing - a third backpack.
Cinderella's.
Hers would be packed by Prince Charming this year. My car would be quieter for the 30 minute drive each morning and afternoon, with one less voice singing and giggling in the back seat.

I wasn't prepared for the fact that LAST summer was the LAST time I packed Cinderella's lunch and backpack for camp.
 And I am definitely not prepared for my Little Pixie growing up so damn fast.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I took care of my husbands son for the entire last year and into this year up until June. We paid child support so we could get him and help him catch up with school and learn how to read. He left in June to go see his mom. He came back three weeks later not able to look at me and not wanting to stay at our home...it broke my heart. Bio mom got jealous and filled his little heart with crap... I got his school packet in the mail the other day. As much as we helped him and her for that matter, I regret it...I regret is because my kids miss him and I miss him and my husband is devistated....i am sorry there is not the third backpack. all we can do is keep calm and carry on....sure gives me a lousy feeling in the pit of my stomach...sigh
Olivia

Wicked Stepmom said...

It's hard to have faith that things will work out, that our stepkids will realize how much we love them and they love us. But it's all I have right now. And all I can do is keep trying.. so I at least know that I've done all I could, and that maybe some of it will reach into the dark depths of that confused teenage mind.